By Peter C. Herman
- Written in a transparent and available variety for an undergraduate point audience
- Gives an summary of the period’s heritage in addition to an realizing of the historiographic issues
- Explores key ancient and literary occasions, from the Wars of the Roses to the e-book of John Milton’s Paradise Regained
- Features intensive reasons of keyword phrases and ideas, equivalent to absolutism and the Elizabethan Settlement
Read or Download A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
David Loewenstein's Representing Revolution in Milton and his Contemporaries is a wide-ranging exploration of the interactions of literature, polemics and non secular politics within the English Revolution. Loewenstein highlights the robust religious ideals and spiritual ideologies within the polemical struggles of Milton, Marvell and their radical Puritan contemporaries in the course of those innovative a long time.
A revisionist learn of Mansfield as a profoundly colonial but daringly experimental author, on the leading edge of modernism. The essays during this quantity draw at the whole journals, letters and tales, to bare Mansfield as a modernist who transcended her inventive impacts via a ultimate knowing of voice, being and subjectivity.
Interdisciplinary in scope, this assortment examines the numerous and intricate ways that early sleek Europeans imagined, mentioned and enacted friendship, a essentially optionally available dating among contributors in a different way certain in prescribed familial, non secular and political institutions. the quantity is punctiliously designed to mirror the complexity and multi-faceted nature of early smooth friendship, and every bankruptcy contains a case research of particular contexts, narratives and/or lived friendships.
Collapsing constructions, unforeseen conferences on the market, immense births, encounters with pirates at sea—these and different unexpected “accidents” on the flip of the 17th century in England received exceptional value within the early sleek philosophical and cultural mind's eye. Drawing on highbrow historical past, cultural feedback, and rhetorical idea, this booklet chronicles the narrative transformation of “accident” from a philosophical useless finish to an mind-blowing get together for revelation and beauty in early sleek spiritual lifestyles, dramatic perform, and experimental philosophy.
- Utopias and Dystopias in the Fiction of H. G. Wells and William Morris: Landscape and Space
- The William Makepeace Thackeray Library: Volume II - Early Travel Writings: Volume 2 (Routledge Revivals: The William Makepeace Thackeray Library)
- The History of Science Fiction (Palgrave Histories of Literature)
- Printing and Parenting in Early Modern England (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
Additional resources for A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context
A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context by Peter C. Herman